Archaeological Open Day
25th May 2019
25th May 2019
Date(s) - 25/05/2019
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
St Mungo's Churchyard
More info: firstname.lastname@example.org or Sean Watson @ 07473742501
St. Mungo’s Churchyard is valuable record of the early development of Penicuik, and those who were the driving force behind it. Not only does it contain the final resting places of the Cowan and Clerk families, but it still houses the remains of the original 18th century tower and walls of the original St Kentigern’s Church, as well as the Clerk family mausoleum.
Intriguingly, the original church remains hint at a history that extends beyond religious matters – in 1887 the vault on the ground floor was used as a cell to incarcerate petty criminals for the evening before they could be transported elsewhere.
Unfortunately, the condition of the original church, mausoleum and graveyard generally is one of severe disrepair. As such Penicuik Heritage Regeneration Scheme and Archaeology Scotland are working together to offer taster sessions in archaeology to locals from the Midlothian area. Half hour sessions starting at 10.00am with the last being at 2.00pm will introduce participants to the basics of archaeology through mini workshops and drop in sessions. Working in the churchyard, it will give participants with an interest of pursuing a career in archaeology, or who just have a keen interest, to advance their skills, better understand the significance of archaeology and the importance of the built heritage around them. Through this, it is hoped that awareness, interest and appreciation can be garnered toward the churchyard in order to help safeguard its significant historical importance.