New lettering on the front of the Town Hall

2nd August 2021

As part of the restoration work currently underway new bronze lettering has been erected on the front facade to say, ” The Cowan Institute “. This is to replace the lost stone carving that was originally in this location. The Town Hall was originally called the Cowan Institute .

Alexander Cowan the founder of the paper mills at Valleyfield in Penicuik provided the funds to erect “The Cowan Institute” for the benefit of the people of Penicuik . The architect was Campbell, Douglas and Morrison from Glasgow and the building was completed in 1894

New bronze lettering on the front facade of the Town Hal,l

Our Partners

Penicuik First
Penicuik Community Development Trust
Midlothian Council
Heritage Lottery Fund
Heritage Lottery Fund